Construction Manager/Affordable Housing Group
Be the primary expert on a dynamic team to oversee construction management for the rehab and development of low income multi-family properties across the country.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead physical due diligence teams during acquisition and development of multi-family properties, which include garden-style, mid-rise and high-rise property types.
- Work with Directors and Investment Managers on the development of a comprehensive scope of work (“SOW”) for each property.
- Effectively communicate and present capital SOW to senior management and internal investment committee.
- Address immediate needs of each property for health and life safety concerns, major system upgrades, residential unit remodels, ADA modifications, energy efficiency modifications, and artistic design for the long-term preservation and development of affordable housing.
- Select development team and manage relationships in coordination with architects, engineers, general contractors, local municipalities, and housing finance agency inspectors for development of the SOW and successful execution of the construction project.
- Develop and manage construction budgets for each property consisting of $15,000 to $75,000+ per unit in rehab construction.
- Participate in weekly OAC conference calls.
- Prepare and deliver to capital partners the monthly construction draw requests.
- Provide design guidance for interior and exterior rehab modifications.
- Provide design guidance and construction oversight for ground up construction initiative.
- Evaluate and manage change orders within established budget tolerances.
- Conduct property inspections for effective oversight of construction progress and monthly draw requests.
- Effectively communicate with internal and external teams regarding due diligence findings, progress of construction management, and final construction completion.
- Prepare and deliver necessary construction close out documentation.
The current pipeline includes rehab of eight properties ranging in size from 48 to 534 units located in six states/district (WA, OR, CO, IL, DC, VA) with aggregate SOW totaling more than $45,000,000 in construction budgets.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills; written and oral
- Ability and desire to work in a dynamic team environment
- Ability to effectively manage 3rd party consultants, architects, and contractors
- Ability to handle the responsibility and privilege of open and autonomous work environment
- Good decision making skills
- Ability and desire to meet deadlines
- Ability and desire to manage budgets
- Comfort and ability to work, process and communicate with numbers and analysis
- Team builder
- Good people skills
- Flexible attitude
- Ability and desire to travel regularly
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, and/or applicable area of study.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in multi-family construction, along with management and preparation of construction budgets.
- Intermediate Excel and Word skills.
- Additional expertise of affordable housing development utilizing Low Income Housing Tax Credits (“LIHTC”), knowledge of Qualified Allocation Plans (“QAP”), and Enterprise Green Communities criteria a plus.
- Knowledge in sustainable construction methods and energy conservation efforts a plus.