Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for our next Development Manager, Commercial to join our Vulcan Real Estate Team.
Who you are
Are you a real estate development expert with a uniquely diverse mix of skills and passions? Do you want to take those skills and passions to the next level at an organization that’s committed to making a positive difference in the world?
Nice to meet you, we’re Vulcan!
Empowered by our founder Paul Allen’s vision, our mission at Vulcan is to improve our planet by tackling the world’s toughest problems. We do that through scientific and technological breakthroughs, catalytic philanthropy, and inspirational experiences, motivated by Paul’s lifelong question: “What solution should exist that doesn’t?”
Vulcan is where you come to embrace your ‘and’. That means opportunities to work across an incredibly diverse set of disciplines, projects, problems, and domains. It means experiencing in just one day what many people might only experience in a lifetime.
Here’s a bit about the Vulcan Real Estate team
The Real Estate team at Vulcan Inc, a private organization in Seattle, WA focused on tackling some of the world’s toughest challenges, is a dedicated, driven group of 36 with a positive team dynamic, and we are looking for smart, passionate, motivated people to join us.
While Vulcan Real Estate is a profit-driven business, we have a strong focus on positive community impact, and we are leaders in the field of environmental sustainability. We aim to leave the world a better place!
Since 2000, we have delivered $3.0 billion in assets in 33 projects comprising 8.0 million square feet and 1,764 residential units. 80% of the development projects have occurred in South Lake Union, renowned as one of the largest urban redevelopment projects in the country. We also have a near-term development pipeline of 23 projects, including 5.6 million square feet and 3,100 residential units.
Visit vulcanrealestate.com to learn more about our award-winning development projects, our emphasis on community building endeavors, such as public art, infrastructure, and parks, and our work in historic preservation and sustainability. We are not your average developer!
About this role
The Real Estate Development Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of development including investment analysis, planning, approvals (internal and external), design, construction, lease-up and completion. Projects may include commercial and residential development opportunities, and new acquisition opportunities.
- Manages real estate development process for commercial and/or residential projects
- Manages entitlement process for designated real estate development projects in conjunction with other colleagues and Corporate Communications staff
- Assembles, contracts with, and manages consultant and construction team
- Coordinates with Vulcan finance, leasing, construction and property management group members in support of potential projects, corporate initiatives and development projects
- Review and coordinate approval of bank draws, closing documentation and support financing and re-financing activity
- Analyze development feasibility of potential acquisition and development opportunities. Coordinate, contract with and manage consultants necessary for due diligence activities. Develop design and construction consultant contacts in property location
- Prepare project schedules, annual budget, and strategic plan for assets and initiatives under their responsibility
Your characteristics include
- Innovative, collaborative and trustworthy with an entrepreneurial spirit
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems
- Highly organized with ability to shift gears and pivot quickly
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment
- A higher than average amount of emotional intelligence. High intellect/low ego
- Good sense of humor and desire to pause and enjoy the big wins with teammates
- Excellent interpersonal skills and outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
- And last but not least, grit. Your demonstrated, sustained and exuberant passion over the long-haul equals grit. We value and celebrate it!
Qualifications we seek
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to produce conceptual proposals and documents that form the basis for projects, as well as ability to write reports, business correspondence, curricula, procedural manuals, and other types of planning documents
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret and evaluate proposals, architectural concepts and drawings, general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, contracts, consultant proposals, or government regulations
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, colleagues, business associates and the general public
- Strong verbal, visual and interpersonal communication skills
- Complete understanding of investment analysis such as discounted cash flow, net present value, internal rate of return analysis and other methods of presentation and analysis used in the real estate industry
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems
- Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to interpret, understand and direct three-dimensional planning of projects
- Ability to supervise cash flow analysis is a must
- Prefer familiarity with the Seattle real estate market
- Familiarity with ground leases, building leases, development agreements, construction and design contracts and city permit processes
- Five to ten years’ experience with real estate development
- Extensive knowledge about green building practices and procedures and LEED designation criteria
Required Computer Skills:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- MS Project
- Proficient in reading two-dimensional and three-dimensional CAD drawings in electronic media and hard copy
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university and five to ten years of substantial experience with development project management, land use regulation and permitting, management of development consultant teams, and development feasibility and investment analysis. Familiarity with leasing commercial and residential property and how lease structures impact asset value is highly desirable.
We’re committed to inclusion and equal opportunity
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vulcan Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, disability, political ideology, or veteran status, or other protected class.
To apply, please visit: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=ouYU7fwd&s=NAIOP